How to use ORCS funding to implement your public EV charging strategy

This page was last updated on: 10.05.2022

What is ORCS Funding?

The On-street Residential charge point Scheme (ORCS) provides grant funding for local authorities to install residential on-street charge points. The scheme aims to improve the availability of local electric vehicle (EV) charging infrastructure for residents without off-street (private) parking.

How to benefit from ORCS?

Through ORCS funding, local authorities can receive a grant covering up to 60% of residential charge point procurement and installation costs. In standard projects, OZEV will fund up to £7500 per charge point. Where connection costs are high, this grant will extend to £13,000 per charge point.

ORCS funding updates 2022-2023

Earlier this year it was announced that ORCS funding would continue, including a total of £20 million funding for 2023/24. Additionally, amendments to the scheme were made to ensure:

  1. More local authorities would be able to benefit from the funding
  2. The customer experience of charging would be improved
  3. Chargepoint installations could take place on more types of suitable land

ORCS Funding Summary

  • Available for lamppost, car parks & street furniture charge points
  • Open to relevant local authorities throughout the UK for areas without off-street parking
  • Can fund up to 60% of procurement and installation costs
  • Projects with a delivery timeframe of up to the end of the 2023/24 financial year (31st March 2024) will be considered

How to apply for ORCS funding

Step 1: The application process is open to relevant local authorities throughout the UK for areas without off-street parking. Local authorities must have the explicit support of the relevant Highways Authority if installing on-street. If installing in car parks, local authorities must own the land. A complete checklist on eligibility can be found here.

Step 2: ORCS funding provides 60% of capital costs of residential charge point purchasing and installation, the remaining 40% must be secured from a different source. The council can pay the remaining 40% directly or through match funding with a CPO such as ubitricity.   Alongside match funding, CPOs can work with and aid local authorities throughout the bid process and application.  Additionally, ubitricity offers to identify ideal charge point locations and support the individual charge point mapping required for ORCS funding. 

Step 3: ORCS funding has been extended, but the deadline is looming. Projects with a delivery timeframe of up to the end of the 2023/24 financial year (31st March 2024) will be considered. With many projects taking an average time of 3-9 months from start to finish, the time to apply for ORCS funding is running out. 

How ubitricity can help: a fully funded offer

Installing EV charge points is one of the critical challenges for councils in the UK. Even with the generous grants from OZEV, many councils’ budgets are too stretched to cover the investment. 

OZEV allocated £20 million of funding to the scheme for 2022 to 2023.

The good news is a zero-cost offer for councils and local authorities. With OZEV providing 60% of the capital costs for residential charge point procurement and installation, ubitricity as part of the Shell Group will match the remaining 40% (subject to commercial terms).

With ubitricity offering to match fund the remaining 40% as a charge point operator (CPO), this scheme is a unique opportunity to fully fund infrastructure that will contribute to local authorities’ Net-Zero Strategy.

60% of cost covered
by OZEV

40% covered by Shell

Additionally, running the UK’s largest public charging network with over 5,000 charge points installed and with a goal to install 50,000 on-street charge points by 2025, ubitricity has created an expert team in ORCS funding applications and can provide support throughout the whole grant process.

More information & ORCS application form

More information on ORCS applications can be found here, including a model ORCS application and claim forms.

To learn more about ubitricity’s free support for ORCS grant applications, speak to our sales team. We look forward to speaking to you soon.

Background element Background element Background element Background element Background element Background element Background element Background element
?